Monday, April 25, 2011

Tre's story

Hello people. I would like to share the story of my 16 week pregnancy with you all. This is quite a long story, but its important for me to share it with each of you. I'll begin with a little background first; Eddie and I had been married for about 3 years or so when we jointly decided that we wanted to start a family. From there begins the journey...which was quite peaceful. We had been trying for about 8 months before we got pregnant. On Thursday, Jan 21st after I decided to take a pregnancy test because I was a few days late; which was no biggie for me, but I had 3 test strips in the bathroom so I figured I'd go ahead and take a test. I almost fell to the ground when I walked back into the bathroom, scared to look at the test for a fear of a big fat negative!! Well, to my surprise I got just the opposite. I was home alone so I couldn't run and give my hubby a big hug and say, "look, look, honey were pregnant", so I just cried and thanked God for answering our prayer and blessing us with a baby.

I shared the news with my husband, he was excited, even though he's a pretty mellow guy, he had a cute way of showing me his excitement, but I must inform you there was no jumping up and down or screaming to the top of his lungs, that was for me to do!!! We had decided that we'd share the news with only our parents and siblings. So we did, and they were over the moon, as this would be the 1st grandchild on both sides. At 6 weeks morning sickness begin and I was nauseous every single day. I didn't have much of an appetite and I had headaches very often and lots of heartburn. I didn't care about how much irritability I had to deal with, I was carrying life, and that meant something so great to me.

My pregnancy was seemingly good, nothing out of the ordinary and no complications. We made it safely through the 1st trimester. I felt like I could take a breather. We've all heard that pregnancy loss chances decrease in the 2nd trimester, so I felt like I was good. Things were going great I thought, but it all changed suddenly:

On the night of Apr. 3, I began to have lower abdominal pain. I didn't really know what to expect as this was my 1st pregnancy. The pain was more annoying I thought than major enough for it to be considered a red flag. The next day was Easter Sunday, and like most, I went to church. Throughout service the pain was bearable but strange. The whole day I kept wondering if this was normal. I made it through Sunday. Monday morning came and the pain had worsened so I called my dr. and he told me to come in. He checked my cervix and informed me that it was still thick and there was no dilating, he told me not to worry. I left the doc still in pain, but confident that my dr's words were true. The pain got more and more intense as the days passed, I wasn't getting any rest or eating much. Wednesday morning came and the pain hadn't subsided so I called my doc again. He told me to go to L&D and they would check me for kidney stones. I got there and they hooked me up to the contractions monitor and thankfully I wasn't contracting. One positive of that day, I found out we were having a baby boy!! OH MY GOD!!! A BOY! I knew it!!! I was so happy, but kinda bummed out that hubby wasn't there to see him on the screen. I called him and told him, he was so happy to have his little man, finally. Doc came in later and said all the tests and ultrasounds looked fine, and he thought my bowels were obstructed b/c my abdomen was distended. I found this strange b/c I wasn't having any problems with bowel movements. He told me to take laxatives and stool softeners. I left there, still in pain, but optimistic and confused at the same time. Thursday came and I was still in pain, and hadn't been to work all week. I found myself in the ER later that evening, the doc was horrible, I explained to him what was going on throughout the week, he didn't perform any tests, he just told me I was constipated and gave me an enema and more laxatives. I didn't have any proof of anything else being wrong so I didn't even know how to express to the docs. I felt I had to take their word for it.

Friday rolled around and the pain had gotten so bad, it was beginning to become unbearable. Friday nite I noticed a small amount of blood in my urine so I called L&D and explained to them what was happening throughout the week, and the nurse told me I was miscarrying and I should go to the ER asap! That startled me of course, but I ran and got E and told him what she said. We went to the ER and were able to get seen fairly quickly, thank God. Once I got to the hospital I begin to bleed more and I was having contractions (I didn't know at the time). The nurse was able to hear baby Tre's heartbeat and it was 126 b.p.m. I was so happy and I just knew everything would be fine. I felt like hearing the heartbeat was reassuring that everything would work out. The ER doc did all kinds of exams and after the exams I begin to bleed very heavy and my water broke, I had no idea what it was and the nurse acted as if she didn't notice it and walked out of the room. Finally the doc came in and told us that my cervix was thinning and I was dilating and we were miscarrying and there was nothing else they could do for us. I just couldn't believe he was saying those words. He wrote me a prescription for pain meds and sent us on our way.
Even though my water had broken and I was having contractions it never registered that I would lose my son, I was so hopeful and sure that he would survive. On our way home we talked about how tired we were and how we couldn't wait to get some rest. When I got home I felt the urge to urinate, I did and that's when I gave birth to my precious baby boy. I sat there thinking this was a dream, it had to be a dream, it wasn't really happening and I didn't just give birth in my bathroom toilet. I screamed for hubby and he came to my rescue, placed a towel over my legs and called the paramedics. They took us back to the hospital and the doc performed a d&c. I was released from the hospital 3 days later after loads of pain, and so began life without my baby boy.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome!! This is a excellent means of healing....(One Day At A Time). We love you & Eddie and we're anticipating whats ahead for you guys! PK and I both look forward to being "Grandparents" by way of you 2! Much Love!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, girl! This is so great. You are such a strong, inspirational woman. From the time I met you and learned your story, I have always felt a special connection to you. We lost Eli at 16 weeks on March 13, 2010. I look forward to following this blog. So proud of all you are doing, and I know Tre' is proud of his mommy too. Always praying for y'all. God makes all things beautiful in His time. May His mighty hand continue to lift you up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, this is great! I'm happy you're expressing your emotions and helping other parents as well. I hope that this blog becomes a source of strength and release for women who may be facing this challenge. Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE BOTH OF YOU! You are such a strong woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..can't imagine what you've gone through!!Your on going testimony truly brings to life "when we are weak...Jesus is strong"..."that His grace is sufficient"..Like you so eloquently stated..God didn't do this but for whatever reason it was allowed. I know God knew you..Eddie and baby Tre'before the foundation of the earth..He knew at this time where each would be...He knew you through His strength would make it. He knew you through Holy Spirit guidance would be a Blessed Voice crying out to all the women without a voice or are too scared to speak out!! Through this Blog others will come to Jesus and find their true healing/peace!! Thank you for being so transparent..Thank you for allowing us to just take a peep as God guide,hold and love on you during this journey!I pray God will lead all that need to read this to your site!! May His peace be yours..May His joy rise up in your heart in your darkest nights..May this bring you and Eddie even closer as husband/wife.. Remember Jere. 29:11- Tyrone and I love you both and we are praying for you and Eddie! Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie, your strength is amazing. Your words leaped off the page as I read your's and Eddie's Story. I heard your voice as my eyes scanned each sentence. I could feel your pain and anguish and then your strength. You are an amazing young woman who possesses many gifts and I know God has a GREAT WORK for you. I will follow you as each day unfolds. I am there for you and will continue to pray for you and Eddie.

    As you already know, I think you are one of the Greatest singers I have ever heard and I can't wait until your CD is released. Your songs will be songs of healing to those who hear it. How do I know? Because I know that when I hear you sing, it truly blesses my spirit. The experience you and Eddie have had will manifest songs that will pierce the very hearts of people.

    Chester, Destiny, Charity and I love you and Eddie so much!!! We are your family and you are ours. Whatever, Whenever or However you need anything, please don't hesitate to call. God's Peace and Blessings be upon the both of you!

    ReplyDelete